1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

Upcoming Birthdays...
There are no member birthdays in the next 14 days

e3d file conversion utility

Public forum for visitors and members alike to generally chat about most anything.
Topic Rating:
  • 135 votes

e3d file conversion utility

Unread postby themuntdregger » 01 Jul 2015, 19:49

Hello Lorc'ers

Ok, so for those of you that don't know me, I am themuntdregger and, if you've played EL for any amount of time, yup, i'm the same vile and repugnant troll you've probably been warned about. If you've never heard of me before, here's your chance to make your own mind up.

Contrary to popular misconception, I don't spend all my waking hours stalking and griefing peeps on teh intawebs. In the short periods between victims, I also tend to devote myself to the joys of 'hacking' and all its many vices. It is in this particular respect that I address you now.

If you've been around EL any length of time and have tried to experiment with improving/creating new graphics, you will undoubted  be familiar with the Blender macro's that are supposedly there to convert objects to and from EL's proprietary e3d format, in which case you are prolly also aware that they are hopelessly borked.

This is because Roja (bless her) created most the EL art set using an ancient and crappy version of Blender; which depended on an ancient and crappy version of the Python; which required an ancient and crappy version of Linux which only runs on ancient and crappy steam powered computers' that had to be made by James Watt on a peat fired hot-seat. Of course time march'eth on, and modern Linux distro's use a version of blender with a completely different api which depends on a completely different version of Python. Anyhow, the critical thing is that EL is effectively left without a toolchain which allow its community to improve existing and (omfg) create new 3d models.

Well, to be fair, the loyal and dutiful EL community appear to care'eth 'not a fuck'. Even though 3d models are pretty much at the heart of gameplay, unless you're able to create/improve your existing set, there's a limit to the amount of other 'tweaking' you can do before peeps get properly bored.

At this point, i'm expecting one of your number to jump up and say 'wtf should you care as you've been summarily banzorred from EL for serial griefing and general 'trouble-making'. Well, this isn't quite as true as you've been given to believe. In actual fact, me and Radu are the best of friends, excepting that he is somewhat a younger man than I. Even so, I still endeavour  to counsel him in the ways of the Jedi, however, like any headstrong paduan, he always seems intent on plowing his own furrow. I guess any of you with children will recognise my pain.

Anyhow, and to the point, I have developed (nay created) a utility that will allow the great unwashed of the EL community to convert e3d files to Wavefront obj (and vice versa). Should you wish to avail yourselves of this awesome shitz, you report immediately to https://github.com/UnoffLandz/unoff-landz/releases whereupon you may worship/gaze in rapture/ or simply download.

In the process of so doing, you'll also come across the name 'Unoff-landz', and peeps will tell you it's some kind of devious upstart project that you shouldn't trust. Well, fact is that our code is open-source, so you're free to inspect and see exactly what it does. Not only do we code converters, but other related shitz that I simply can't be arsed to tell you about. However, any of you that can be arsed, i'm very interested in your feedback.
themuntdregger
Ally/Friend
Noob
Progress to next post rank:
20%

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

EL Achievements:
Tutorial Completed Herbalist Rank 3 Mushroom Eater Rank 2 Miner Rank 3 Mother Nature Hates Me 1 Exterminator 2 Knowledgeable 

Local time: 03 Dec 2020, 17:35
Highscores: 0
Arcade winning challenges: 0

Re: e3d file conversion utility

Unread postby Adamantinus » 05 Jul 2015, 10:13

Interesting :)

I didnt clone the repo yet, nor did I deeply dig into it, from what I can see is that ur developping there an own branch of the EL client ... right?
Projects:Hydro-Nexus 13/13 | Mule 12/12 | Manu Level 73/100 | Range Level 24 / 40
[LittleLooter: let me guess, you're radu? :o]
Adamantinus
Officer of LoRC
Brown Snake
70%

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

EL Achievements:
Tutorial Completed Alchemist Big Belly Herbalist Rank 3 Mushroom Eater Rank 2 Miner Rank 3 Lucky Finder 3 Lucky Crafter 3 Mother Nature Hates Me 2 Exterminator 3 Very Knowledgeable Mason 2 Instancer 2 Weak Monster Killer 1 Medium Level Monster Killer 2 High Level Monster Killer 1 

Local time: 03 Dec 2020, 19:35
Highscores: 14

Unread postby themuntdregger » 09 Jul 2015, 02:13

The client part of the code is fairly stale. There's a private repo where the el graphics have been hacked out and replaced with the Urho3d engine. That's where most of the client dev is being undertaken. What is intended is to create a generic client that can be used with either el or ol, plus a customised version for the UnoffLandz game.

We're also developing a new version of el's elm file format which, whilst it will be compatible with the EL official client, will support non-char animations (atm a water mill with turning wheel) in the Unofflandz and OL client.

Most of my effort is in creating a generic open source server which can be used to run EL/OL/UL clients. Atm it's at the stage where you can log in, walk, chat and harv, but not much else.
themuntdregger
Ally/Friend
Noob
20%

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

EL Achievements:
Tutorial Completed Herbalist Rank 3 Mushroom Eater Rank 2 Miner Rank 3 Mother Nature Hates Me 1 Exterminator 2 Knowledgeable 

Local time: 03 Dec 2020, 17:35

Unread postby SolarStar » 26 May 2016, 22:51

it's about time ! that someone puts EL on a new base. At the moment all devellopment is dead because incompatibility issues. You meantioned it. I would like to be active in devellopement, I have posted many suggestions on main forum in the past. My last big project was making walk-maps for EL. Also done some custom clothes stuff. There has been some devellopment of a new 3D editor - work done by Xaphier. He programed, i tested and made suggestions for improvement. Unfortunatly he quit :9.

And - i have almost no programming knowledge in C or phython to be helpful. So sad. So far you write only about a converter for e3d files. Will there be a new game engine following ? And - can i help testing ?
SolarStar
Ally/Friend
Brownie
45%

EL Achievements:
Alchemist Vanquisher Professor of Potioning Big Belly Herbalist Rank 3 Mushroom Eater Rank 3 Miner Rank 3 Lucky Finder 3 Lucky Crafter 3 Mother Nature Hates Me 3 Exterminator 3 Armor Piercer Very Knowledgeable Mason 3 Instancer 2 

Unread postby Adamantinus » 27 May 2016, 08:40

Well to bring in new content new meshes already would spice things up. So far Radu introduces same looking monsters under a new name, maybe size changed but that really isn't exciting.
So any 2d/3d artist would do good to EL. Ofc new gameplay content would need to follow, like c3 would be fun. Or some more quests but that is much development and requires time.
Projects:Hydro-Nexus 13/13 | Mule 12/12 | Manu Level 73/100 | Range Level 24 / 40
[LittleLooter: let me guess, you're radu? :o]
Adamantinus
Officer of LoRC
Brown Snake
70%

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

EL Achievements:
Tutorial Completed Alchemist Big Belly Herbalist Rank 3 Mushroom Eater Rank 2 Miner Rank 3 Lucky Finder 3 Lucky Crafter 3 Mother Nature Hates Me 2 Exterminator 3 Very Knowledgeable Mason 2 Instancer 2 Weak Monster Killer 1 Medium Level Monster Killer 2 High Level Monster Killer 1 

Highscores: 14

Unread postby Nessa » 29 May 2016, 00:35

You guys can find the project here. Munt was also involved in OL a while back, iirc.
Image73Image85 -> want icons like this on your sig? Get them here.
Mixing any potion
Nessa
da Mighty Guild Master!
Feran
3.2%

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Local time: 03 Dec 2020, 18:35

Return to General Discussion